Wednesday, February 21, 2007

'quilt' ideas



Yeah, it's in the 40's and I almost feel like it's spring even though there is snow all over the place. Matty and I went to the playground today and at first we were all by ourselves but then a few other people showed up. In the summer going to the playground can feel redundant but, today it was just the best. The swings were dry and the smile on little M's face so big.

So last night I got to thinking about quilts with spring coming and all - less layers. However, I don't feel ready quite yet to embark on the queen size quilt for my bed so I thought about it and although I have also been loving little doll quilts I'm thinking a crib sized quilt. Now the 2 ideas I have so far are girly and I think they would be fun to make but shouldn't I be focusing on a boy quilt for Matty. I will have to think about one for him.

One idea I have is to use the yo yo's I've been making except not stich them all together like a typical yo yo quilt but, rather space them out in rows evenly and maybe add other elements like leaves and embroidery although maybe just the yo yo's alone would be pretty.

The other idea goes something like this - just sew a bunch of patches down randomly. I've got 30 tiny square patches. Now that I look at it, I think I may need more for a 30 x 50 quilt and I'm not sure red is the best background color. Now I know this isn't true quilting but maybe it would be good just to do something simple to start with so I can see what it like to do the B's (use batting, back and bind). Did I just come up with that? I'm sure someone else made up the three B's...

I can just see myself making quilt tops and then have them sitting around until I work up the courage to run them through the Singer Merritt because I can see the layers might cause problems. Maybe hand quilting would have to be done. Maybe this should just be put on the back burner.

1 comment:

Amelia Plum said...

cute fabric squares, although I think it might be best to do the quilt with a white or off-white background. the red is pretty but seems to compete with the colorful fabric blocks. don't be to put off with the idea of binding and batting, you'll never learn with out trying - you could always test things out on some small sample quilt first. if all else fails there are people that will finish quilts for you - Denyse Schmidt has links to places that do that on her website (dsquilts.com). good luck:)