Thursday, February 15, 2007

a letter box


I started this and forgot about it and then finished it yesterday. My mother-in-law Julia gave me two cigar boxes as well as some fabric last time I saw her. She knew I would put them to good use.

I thought a little about what to do with them.

One I made into what I called a birthday box for Matty's 1st birthday and covered with plaid fabric and made a collage from cut out letters from an old magazine (I'll add it to flickr at some point) to house his birthday cards.
I decided the other should be a letter box. I thought if I made a pretty box perhaps it will inspire me to write a letter, send a note. Many of us send holiday cards and thank you notes but the occasional just because note or letter is rare for me. As I said in my first post, I used to write a lot and had penpals all over the world.

Some details..

On the inside cover I collaged:

-an old postcard
-a butterfly postcard
-a russian vocabulary card showing the english side
-a fabric maple leaf I cut out from the fabric Julia gave me
- a tag from Papered Together with two deers... also responsible for the beautiful stationary that is tied with black yarn inside the box(hard to see)
-a Fashioned by Nancy Cook sew-in-tag


Inside the box
-the stationary mentioned above has a thank you note (included for free) personalized staionary with a spinning wheel and a look what I made you card
-my fleur-de-lys stamp and stamp pad
-some pens including my Father's ink well pen from grade school that he just gave me
-a box with some felt flowers I made and paper flowers I bought
-animal block print cards I used for thank you notes for Matty's 1st birthday
-and of course some stamps.


Now get writing...

No comments: