Wednesday, February 7, 2007

grandma's tatting



Here are a few of the spools of Grandma Cook's tatting. Jaleelie was an avid crocheter. Whenever she was 'resting' she was at her crochet. She made beautiful clothes, delicate snowflakes which she starched etc. I always admired her hands moving quickly and the beautful things that would emerge. She did try to teach me once or twice but we only got as far as the chain. I'm now able to do single and double crochet but have only made a crocheted flower thus far.
This tatting is beautiful to me to have and to look at. I imagine one does beautiful edging on dresses or tablecloths with tatting. Someday, I may get around to this but, for now just seeing them up on my shelf above my desk both inspires me and reminds me of her while I am working.
Here are a few pieces of tatting trim meant for something she didn't get around to finish or laid aside for the right purpose. I wonder what she had planned for these. I wonder what I could do with them that she would be proud of.



Here they are close-up. The photos don't do them justice.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Tatting can be added around the neckline cuffs plackett or pocket. It can be used to dress up anything you'd like to add a little pizazz to. For all that it looks fragile tatting often outlasts the garment that it is attached to. These pieces may have been created for a new garment or they could be rescue pieces intended to be re-used. If you'd like to learn to tat, you can view the demos on my web site at
http://www.gagechek.com/slb/demo/demo.html
Sharon Briggs