Tuesday, August 30, 2011

turn a square




My firstborn baby start Kindergarten one week from today and every year I knit him a new hat. It seems this year that Autumn might come soon as the weather has already started cooling off a bit so it might be getting worn pretty soon.

I chose these two colors a few months ago at my local yarn shop. The yarn is Blue Sky Alpacas Sport Weight and I always love working with this yarn. The pattern I chose is Brooklyn Tweed's Turn a Square. This pattern is meant for an adult but changing the yarn weight from worsted to sport and the needles to 3.25 and 3.75 mm resulted in a perfect hat for my boy and, he likes it too.

When he finished preschool he asked for a cape. I never showed it to you but I put a video of him riding his Daddy's skateboard wearing it up on flickr the other day. The project was fun and he really likes it. Since he doesn't show any strong interest in superheroes yet I thought a cape with his initial would be just right.
You could see it by clicking here.

-In other news we fared Irene okay - we did lose power but got it back after 20 hours. Unfortunately, our water supply is not right. We had to boil then lost water and now we have it back but is not safe. We also had a lot of water (6") in the basement and are waiting a while to test out our washer/dryer- hopefully they are fine. Mostly we had pulled what we could high enough and finally the water is gone. We had to wait for the power for the sump pump to work.

1 comment:

Jenniffer said...

Very cute hat- looks great on him.
Hope the rest of your post storm problems get sorted out in a hurry.
All the best to you!