Wednesday, August 17, 2011

blue sashiko sampler



I just completed a new sashiko sampler. I have two more of this exact pattern and am wondering if I could turn it into a table runner. What do you think? Maybe with some batting and backing?

I might wind up sewing them into pillows which is what I always do with them. It would be nice to have or give a matching set of pillows don't you think? Another possibility would be drawstring bags.

I have done several sashiko samplers and I really enjoy working them. If you have never tried sashiko and you like quiet stitching and embroidery it is pretty simple to learn and the patterns are beautiful. White thread on navy cloth is the most traditional. I didn't have any white sashiko thread so I used blue and like the effect of two together.

3 comments:

Dacia said...

wow I love these! Where did you find your pattern? When I first saw it, I though I hadn't seen anything like it, but now I'm vaguely recalling something like this hanging on the wall at my great grandmothers house--way back when...

sew nancy said...

This pattern came from Purl Soho. Thanks. Wow, I bet they would look amazing framed. I had thought of that at one point with some of the others I made.

Amelia Plum said...

i like the table runner idea, especially since you usually make pillows with these samplers, i think that would be something different and really nice