Monday, September 5, 2011

old city, philadelphia











After Terrain we stopped by Old City, Philadelphia for a spell.

We walked along Elfreth's Alley.


Stroll down Elfreth's Alley's historic cobblestones, and step back into America's past. Located in the heart of Old City Philadelphia, Elfreth's Alley is a block-long street that opened in 1702 connecting two blacksmiths' shops near Philadelphia's busy waterfront with Second Street, one of the growing colony's busiest thoroughfares.


You can read about the history here and see pictures of the homes of our nation's oldest residential street. I loved all the history here and the homes were beautiful. Very inspirational.

As we were leaving my boy lost his second tooth which was very exciting as the tooth has been loose for a few weeks now. He was so happy to have it out. Here he is running along after it came out.



We then stopped in at Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction to see The Reverand's Rhuby exhibit which I thoroughly enjoyed. I bought a purple white and brown horsehair bracelet here for seven dollars that I haven't taken off since.





I would love to come back and explore old city more. I really wanted to go inside the Betsy Ross home but, it was closed when we walked by.





4 comments:

Amy said...

These photos are lovely! I love the buildings!

Jenniffer said...

What a cool place! I never knew there was such a neighborhood, but I'd sure love to visit myself. Happy Anniversary to you and Hubby- hope this trip was a wonderful memory maker!

Amelia Plum said...

that area is so quaint. and that store looks great. are those tights in the one photo? i love the light fixtures coming off the ceiling.

sew nancy said...

Those are ties. They would make great tights with those patterns.