Friday, September 9, 2011

little girls western style





I knew it was going to be too big but, then second guessed because it is a loose style. I am referring to the dress from Little Girls Western Style by Yuki Araki.
I didn't realize when I cut it out but when I started sewing it a few months ago I knew so it sat.
I kind of figured this was a trial dress from the beginning not because it is hard to sew but because I believed I would need to alter the pattern which is in Japanese which you know makes it harder because I don't know the language. What I wished afterwards was that I didn't serge the seams because I think I could work with it.
I had already narrowed the sides but it looks like they could get narrower and the apron wrap needs to come up higher. Oh, and a few inches need to be cut off the bottom.
Hmmm, maybe I should just start from the beginning again and save this one for later.

2 comments:

Jenniffer said...

Well, regardless of the frustrations, it looks really cute.I really like the fabric.

the fabled needle (jen) said...

i love the print and color combination you chose!

for me, that's one of the drawbacks to serging seams: the difficulty of altering later on! one i used to work in costume shops, we serge the seam allowances before sewing up the seams. that way you could take it in/let it out later (which is especially important if you rent out the costumes). the only time i do that though is when i'm working with a seam where a zipper will be installed. otherwise i'd be concerned about the extra bulk.