Monday, June 25, 2012

betsy in blue sundress







When I saw the tiny triangle dress on the Purl Bee I knew I wanted to convert it so that it would fit my daughter who wears a 4T. I used the same Liberty of London fabric which is called Betsy. I have always loved this print and even made her a dress in Betsy last year. I used two different colors for the ties for a bit of whimsy but other then that it is very similar to the original.

Here is how I changed it so it would fit my daughter:

When cutting out the dress. I measured her chest (21 1/2 ") and the length I wanted to make the dress (23"). I added 4 inches to the chest measurement to allow for gathering and seam allowance. I measured the length by holding up the tape measure to her body but one could also measure a dress that you like the length of from the underarm to where you would like it to fall. I made the casing a 1/2" wider. When sewing up the sides I left 9" rather then 5" for the armholes. I hope this makes sense if you want to try it.

This dress is perfect for any special occasion. I made mine a bit on the long side so we can get a few years out of it.

1 comment:

Amelia Plum said...

adorable dress. i am coveting all the lovley liberty fabric you have. and you front yard looks goregous!