Tuesday, June 5, 2012

polka dots and ric rac












A new dress sewn from a vintage pattern I bought several years ago at Mackey Blue in Hoboken back in the days when I worked there and M was still a baby.

I was looking through my patterns a few weeks ago and realized this was a size 4 and so I thought I'd give it a go. I chose View 2 which is made from one fabric and uses ric-rac trim rather then two fabrics as you can see here in the illustration options. The original pattern pieces were missing but, thankfully there were tissue paper copies and most of them were intact. I omitted the puff sleeves and had to remake the yoke in front since this piece appeared wrong. I had to put a seam in that piece as I had very little fabric left. I stopped reading the directions about halfway through. I think it turned out rather sweet. I have to say I am impressed with how well it fits considering I am working without the model at night while she is sleeping

The year the pattern came out is 1946 and her Grammie would have been five then.







2 comments:

Blaze said...

Just adorable!! She will be so thankful to have memories of her mama making her sweet dresses! Love the darling fabric.

Anonymous said...

Both the model and the dress are absolutely perfect. I also love the fact the time the pattern came out when you grandma was 5 which is somewhat close to your daughter-even more special.