Wednesday, April 11, 2007

my first ever quilt

I've no idea what I'm doing. Let me just repeat that in case you didn't hear me, okay... I've no idea what I'm doing. All is fine really since this quilt is for me even though it is a crib quilt and I've no baby girl or baby girl on the way. Perhaps, someday. For now it is just an experiment.

I think this style quilt may be called a crazy quilt. That would be a good name for it because it is crazy. Crazy that I'm doing it. If I can attempt this you can too and I'm not just saying that. I'm not an expert seamstress or anything.

So here it is- well the quilt top at least:




It's a bit wonky as I should have ironed pre-sewing the quilt squares down because a few of them are a bit puckered. Will this get better once I add the batting and back or should I take out and re-do? Any advice?
The best part of sewing the squares is that I used the zig-zag stitch and so I didn't have to hem the raw edges.
The squares are all reproduction fabrics that I picked up on ebay quite a while ago. You may remember this post where I first talked about this idea.
I'm using a tea-stained color linen for the quilt that I thought would be off-white (that's what I ordered at least) but, I'm happy with the color so all is good that ends good. However, it's not over yet.

1 comment:

Amelia Plum said...

the squares look cute on the linen backing, I think they show up much better on that than the red. I haven't quilted before but I used to work at a craft store where they quilted and I know that they ironed everything fanatically - seems like ironing is a huge part of quilting.