Monday, April 30, 2007

dacia's bird skirt



Are you having a deja vu moment? Well, if you have seen Dacia's post and then more recently her very generous and free pattern instructions for making said skirt then you are not crazy. I have indeed made the bird skirt and am so happy and in love with the fabric and pleated skirt and again like last Monday I am feeling springy, girly and giddy.

A few things happened when making the skirt that I'm not sure if i understood the directions clearly. When putting in the zipper I put the zipper in face up inside the skirt. So the right side of the zipper is facing the wrong side of the fabric but can be zipped so that the zipper pull is on the outside like it would normally be. Now this could just be a phrasing thing but, the way I read it the zipper sounded like it would be put in upside down which didn't make sense to me. I did it that way first thinking it was something magical and would turn the other way but right afterwards was like..no it's the way I think it's supposed to go. Trust your instincts. When gathering the front panel also gather the back panels. I didn't see that in the instructions. Also, I don't know if I did something wrong when I cut the back bands but, they came out way too long so I had to cut several inches off of both of them. As for sizing, I don't have a super small waist and there is only about a 6 inch difference between my waist and hips. That said, I don't like things sitting on my actual waist so I measured the band to be a about 1 - 1 1/2 half inches above my hips. This didn't look right so I ended up taking the band in 1/2 inch on both sides and it's much better. I did think about going all the way down with the seam but, it's not really noticeable with the pleats.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG!! it turned out perfectly! thanks for testing out the pattern. I've updated the instructions hopefully that will have ironed out these issues. seriously, great work! it looks fantastic on you.

Amelia Plum said...

really cute skirt, I love the bird fabric - too cute.