Friday, July 5, 2013

bundle dyeing

I have been wanting to try bundle dyeing for awhile and read about using tea as the mordant. This method will more likely fade with washing. I cut and hemmed a large piece of muslin and threw down a bunch of flowers, herbs and leaves from the garden. I included roses, delphinium, nasturtium, lavender, hydrangea and currants. The rest I don't remember. I worked quickly and bundled it up with twigs and twine and threw it in a pot of boiling water with 6 tea bags.

It boiled for 25 minutes and then I set it on a cutting board on the counter. After 2 days I unraveled it and found it settled in nicely in one good size section of the fabric. I don't know what I will use it for yet. It was good to try something new.

No comments: