Friday, October 2, 2009

an apple a day






We went on our annual trip to the apple orchards this morning and brought home 31 pounds of apples.
I plan to do a lot of baking, cooking and general eating of apples over the next month or so. What are your favorite apple recipes and ways to eat them?

I remember seeing something about apple fritters last year and of course there is applesauce, apple pie and crisp. I was thinking a tart with onions and apples might be good.

We picked Golden Delicious, Jonamac, Jonathan, Macoun, Empire and Rome Beauty.

Matty's preschool has been having an apple theme so he has been doing taste testings there, made applesauce and art projects

I also have had a very slow going apple sewing project in the works. I'll show you soon.

Happy October!
-Oh and if you are local I will have a table at the Farmer's Market this Monday from 2-5 (in Maplewood, NJ).

3 comments:

Amelia Plum said...

the pictures of the kids are so cute! 31 pounds is a lot of apples!

Liz said...

I think my favourite is apple crumble. With custard!

jenn said...

31 pounds of apples!? Holy moly! I made some awesome apple cake last year; I'll have to dig up the recipe. I also was thinking of trying apple butter this year. good luck tackling all those apples!
Oh, I wish I could have driven up to the farmers market today to see you, but with school and naps, it didn't work out. oh well.