Thursday, March 6, 2008

home sweet home


Ladies and Gentleman,

We have a home. Well, we have not closed yet but, it's under contract. Actually, we have been under contract for some time but, I have been afraid to say anything as I didn't want to jinx it. If you must know Mick was on the phone with the realtor while I was in labor at the hospital and I was signing papers shortly after Scarlet was born.

Yes, we are moving to the suburbs but it's less than half an hour to the city by car and train which is pretty much the same as it is now with walking and the PATH train (okay, maybe a little different). We all have our own rooms and I even get a craft room -hip hip hooray! It is a 1920's center hall colonial. I adore victorians as well so for our next house I'm crossing my fingers for a farmhouse victorian. I wonder if I will be able to see the stars when I lay in the grass of my very own backyard.

I must add that our home is featured in a book as the front yard was converted into a fruit and vegetable garden. There are amazing things growing there. Here is the description of what was planted last year:

Each of the 15 planters contains a different combination of herbs and vegetables, which include [moving from the back left planter]: (1) red lettuces (2) green lettuces (3) 6 different varieties of mint (4) several varieties of basil with cantaloupe, squash and zucchinis around the perimeter (5) eggplants in the center surrounded by a border of alternating varieties of thyme [middle row] (6) rhubarb surrounded by leafy greens (7) climbing cucumbers surrounded by a border of chamomile and catnip (8) tomatoes surrounded by a border of marjoram and basil (9) climbing cucumbers surrounded by a border of curry plant and sage (10) tomatoes with purple basil in the corners and a border of wooly and creeping thyme [next row] (11) an ornamental clipped standard rosemary shrub surrounded by different varieties of mint (12) lemongrass in the center surrounded by chives and sweet corn (13) an ornamental clipped standard rosemary shrub surrounded by eggplant and a border of oregano (14) different varieties of peppers (15) bok choy with a border of oregano and marjoram.

On the right side of the garden as you approach the front door are the fruiting trees and vines. Flanking the sidewalk steps are two diminutive dwarf peach trees. You then walk through a series of three arched arbors planted with 6 varieties of grapes, which will eventually cover them. Aligned with these on the south side are three fruit trees: cherry, apple and peach. Between each tree is a raspberry bush, which will eventually grow up a 6' wire tower structure. A six-foot diameter circular tiered bed is densely planted with various berries: currants, blackberries, gooseberries and blueberries. Against the house are grape vines and two potted fig trees, which may be moved inside during especially cold weather.

Interesting, right? We will see what comes back this Spring and if I can keep it up. Here I was just thinking about terrariums and the flowers I want to plant...

(above photo- a recent ebay purchase)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

nancy--this is wonderful! i'm very jealous, but i'll channel that into a big congratulations! you have to take pictures and share as soon as you can.

Amy said...

congratulations! it sounds wonderful. i am jealous of the yard!

Marcia said...

Congrats on the new house and a sewing room! It is always exciting to move...a chance to go through everything and get things all tidy, meet new neighbors. I'm so happy for you. P.S. I love your daisy bag.

Amelia Plum said...

Congratulations Nancy! The new home sounds incredible. I want to see pictures of this lovely home and garden. You'll have to let me know your new address and when you're moving. Have you sold your current apt yet?

Asti said...

Wow... it sounds amazing and what a garden! Look forwrad to seeing pics. Hope it all goes well.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! The garden sounds amazing! What book is it in? We inherited a big cottage style perennial garden with our house, and I feel bad, because I can't keep it up the way the previous owner did. I hope you have better luck :) It sounds so lovely.

Felicia said...

Congratulation's! :)

Laura said...

thanks for visiting my blog and congratulations on finding what sounds like the perfect home. I hope it all closes soon and becomes official and you get lots of time to sit in your own craft room :)