Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Me and Mary and a Christmas Sweater






For Christmas, my Mom gave me a handknit sweater that her grandmother, my Great Grandmother, Mary Guthrie Donaldson knitted for her. She said it was the last thing she knit for her so I'm thinking this was made in the 1960's. It is super warm. It is not extremely flattering nor is it my favorite color. However, I love it. It is knitted beautifully and with a little pink lipstick it somehow makes the color look better on me. Does that sound retro-housewife? Oh well, it's true. My Mom said she wanted me to have it since I knit. The knitting gene skipped both her and her Mother. Apparently, she knit a lot of clothes for her three girls as well.



Here is Mary (the maker of the sweater) second from right. See the beautiful bows... she made all of these for her three daughters. My Grandmother, who, unfortunately, I never met is on the right. I am named after her. The other two, my great-aunts, Jessie (left) and Janet are in their 90's. Janet was a milliner and a wonderful seamstress. I guesss she too got the gene.

I am so happy to have this sweater.

No comments: