Sunday, October 28, 2012
With the hurricane approaching I thought I would show you a few photos of Ms. S in her Halloween costume. I spent quite a bit of time sewing up this dress for her over the past week. I used the dress pattern 'Dress with Quilted Bodice' from Carefree Clothes for Girls which I also made for her last year in cotton gauze and muslin. I really love this pattern because of all the details that go into it.
The bodice is made first and is hand quilted. My outer fabric is an organic cotton knit from Alabama Chanin, then a medium weight batting and finally the lining which I have had for a while and was perfect for this but I am not sure what it is. It seems like a rayon. The flutter sleeves are attached after and made from the lining. The skirt is the two layers with a ruffle added to the bottom of the lining. I like the way it is attached so the seam allowance shows in the front. Finally, you sew on the buttons in the back. I used these adorable black cat buttons I have been hoarding for a while.
I had a lot of fun making this. I've left the bodice loose so a shirt can go underneath as I have shown here and so that it can be used in the dress up box for a few years down the road.
I really hope we get to have a Halloween this year. I need to finish hemming M's costume and then we are set to go.