Saturday, April 16, 2011

first drawing




I've never felt very confident about drawing but, always wanted to become more skilled at it. So, as with anything else it takes practice and I've decided to spend some time drawing this spring and summer and see where it takes me.

I really love botanicals so when this new book: Drawing Nature A Journal by Jill Bliss was released (which I read about through Design Sponge) it didn't take me long to click and buy it.

This is exactly what I was looking for. A drawing class I can do on my own. Or, in the case of my first drawing with the children.

Yesterday afternoon you would have found the three of us sitting on the front steps drawing nature.
The children enjoyed it and Matthew's rendition of the neighbor's tree was really interesting. I hope to do quite a bit more of drawing with him. The way children see and draws are unlike the way an adult would and I think five is a great time to start this.

The instructions for the first drawing were to draw a simple leaf or flower but, after drawing the daffodil I couldn't help drawing the dwarf peach tree and strawberry leaves below it that were next to me.



I'm really looking forward to the next exercise. I need an hour alone to draw a flower without looking at the paper. I'm planning to buy some flowers soon and get started on it. I could already tell after the first drawing that I didn't spend nearly enough time observing.

No comments: