Tuesday, March 30, 2010
S is outgrowing her smocks as you can see here. It gave me the perfect excuse to play with the design. I had been wanting to do this for awhile actually. I have a vintage pattern that was similar but, different then the one I normally make and sell. I used that one for a premise but, like the original it was smaller in size. I am not an expert on pattern drafting but managed quite well and I came up with a great new smock that easily fits a size 2 with room for growth. I do believe it would fit a 3T as well.
There are a few different features with it. First the closure at the shoulder is a button rather then a tie. Secondly, I added ric-rac along the bottom. There is a bit more width and length to it of course. I can make it with or without the ric rac.
Since S is a size 2, I made one for her first so I could see how it looks and how she moves in it and then I made another for the shop which I hope to have up some time today. The one I made for her uses fabric from the My Folklore by Lecien line. I am in love with the line and this print was one of my favorites. I had a hard time cutting into it as I can't find anymore online but, now I will get to look at it all year on my little girl rather then on the shelf. The lining is in a cream muslin. The ric-rac is lavender.
The one I made for the shop is a red/white gingham. The same fabric as this top with a cream muslin lining.