Tuesday, January 1, 2013

book club






For the past few years I've been involved in a book club. We meet about every six weeks which is just right for me as I usually spend most of time on projects and less on reading. I love to get together with this great group of women. We have such an interesting group. Our discussions usually start off with the book and end on personal levels which is really great and always fun as we learn more about each other and our own journeys in life past and present.

Here is the list of books we tackled this year. If I forgot one and any of you girls are reading feel free to add them in the comments.

Here is the list of titles:

In the Garden of Beasts- Erik Larson - I didn't finish this one. It's about a US Ambassador stationed in Germany during the rise of Hitler and the Nazi party.
Blood, Bones and Butter- Gabrielle Hamilton - An enjoyable read. A personal account all about food and the food business and much more.
Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter- I like this one a lot. It takes place in Italy in the 60's. I would definitely recommend this one.
Wild (From Lost to Found)Cheryl Strayed- an enjoyable read about a 26 year old female hiking the Pacific Crest Trail and self discovery.
The Cove- Ron Rash - This one was okay. It's about outcasts in the South at the end of World War 1.
Myra Breckinridge- Gore Vidal (some read Lincoln since this was not available on Kindle). Myra was okay and maybe shocking for it's time but a bit silly for me.
The Paris Wife- Paula McLain - I enjoyed reading this one about Hemingway during the early part of his career, his first wife and the cast of characters they meet and party with.
John Saturnall's Feast- Lawrence Norfolk - I didn't finish this one. It's not holding my interest. Maybe I will go back at some point.
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks- Rebecaa Skloot - I am reading this now and it's really interesting.

Also, on the table is Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Hope to get to this soon.

Are you in a book club? What were some of your favorites this year?

No comments: