Wednesday, November 3, 2010


I bought a drop spindle at the NY Sheep and Wool a few weeks back and the lady I purchased it from demonstrated how to use it. I bought one that you can use to spin from both sides. One has a hook and the other has a groove in order to make the hitch around. I practiced for about an hour today and it is slow. I am attempting the park and draft technique and have attempted from both sides. This is going to get some getting used to. I think I get the basic concept but knowing how to let loose the roving and keep it even is proving challenging. My 'yarn' (which is this gorgeous pale peach merino roving I got at the previous year's festival) is also still pretty thick at this point. I'll let you know when I have a skein done. And, if you have any advice for me I'd love to hear about it.


Claire Louise Milne said...

Your yarn looks exactly like my first yarn did. Park and draft is a perfect way to start.

Pre-drafting your roving can help. You divide the roving up vertically into thinner strips then draft each strip out a little bit. Or you can just draft the original roving. Just pull gently to loosen it up all the way along. Then wind it back up like a ball of yarn. You will still have to do extra drafting as you spin.

Sometimes when you buy roving it can be a bit dense and difficult to draft so it's hard to draft and spin at the same time. I almost always pre-draft my roving before I spin, even now I'm more experienced.

It's also a way to divide up the colour variegation, if you divide the roving vertically each strip will have the full sequence of colours.

In this post you can see pictures:
I divided the roving up into thinner strips then drafted out each strip. You can see in the top photo, there's a softer fluffier looking ball of roving that I'm spinning from. The photo with all the balls of roving is how they looked after I divided them but before drafting them.

I hope this helps!

Claire Louise Milne said...

p.s. I love your spindle!

sew nancy said...

Claire -

Thanks so much for your advice and for taking the time to write that down for me. I think the pre drafting and diving it into thinner strips will certainly help. I'll let you know.

Meadowlark said...

No advice, but I did drool a bit over the color. YUM!