Friday, January 16, 2009

rocks with sweaters


Let's face it. It's cold out there. Well in the northeastern US it is.

Dear friends of ours gave us rocks as a gift.

A whole beautiful bagful one day last summer. They were moving to London and had already carried them from England to NY and well one of them didn't want to cart them back to England.

They are from Cornwall near the ocean and there are so many stunning ones. I really should have photographed the 'naked' ones for you. Some of them have these great details like there will be a beautiful single white swirly stripe or multiple stripes amongst a shadowy gray or a perfectly shaped oval or the one with the eight on it which happens to be my favorite number.

Someday, I plan to mail some of them back to my friend, who was slightly distraught that her husband gave away their rocks, with a few other pleasant handmade surprises. I think perhaps for her birthday which happens to be 2 days before mine. I am pretty sure they don't read my blog so it should be a happy surprise.

So yesterday, I decided to give felted rocks a try. It's basically wrapping the rock with wool roving and then getting it warm and soapy with warm water and well, soap, smoothing it and then putting it in a stocking and the washing machine. Okay, here are directions

Here are the ones that came out. A few got tossed out of the stocking in the machine... not sure why.

So, there you have it...rocks with sweaters

No comments: