Tuesday, September 11, 2007

thrifting weekend - part 1

This weekend I did a bit of thrifting which I love.
Saturday, was a block long gate sale. Here we have gate sales rather than garage sales since hardly anyone has a garage. I didn't find anything I really wanted at these although I did find a wooden train puzzle for Little M so it wasn't a complete loss.
Sunday, I went to a book sale at a church and next to it was a big flea market and auction. I didn't bid on anything but I did find a few really great items.




Here is a photo of the dolls I found. I paid $6 total for all of them. They all look handmade to me and quite old. The double headed one I believe is called an awake-asleep doll but, I could just be making that up. They need to be cleaned and a little bit of sewing repair but, I think they are pretty interesting. Anyone have any tips for cleaning old cloth dolls? Or any knowledge of the history on the dolls shown here? I hope to get around to doing some research on these soon.

I'll save some of my other finds for posts throughout the week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The doll with two heads is called a topsy-turvy doll. I've seen several different styles of these, some like the one you found have an asleep face and an awake face, some have a white face and a black face and some are Cinderella w/a sad face in her work clothes and then a happy face in her ballgown.

SunshineCityLassie said...

Lucky find!

lonelymonalisa said...

I use baby wipes to clean cloth dolls. They smell good too. Just be careful and check a spot first before you do the whole thing to make sure it doesn't bleed, but that is what I have used in the past for spot cleaning.