Monday, August 5, 2013


This dress is called Laurel by Colette Patterns and I made my first dress from it over the past few weeks. Sadly,my sewing machine got screwed up towards the end and I had to do some of the last steps by hand. I like hand sewing but, after finishing it and trying it on I spotted a few tweaks I want to alter once the machine is repaired.

So, I know this is a big no-no but I didn't make a muslin! My time is so limited in the summer and I was impatient for a final product. If I had done so I would have cut out a size smaller and I would have used a shorter zipper in the back. A 22" zipper is too long for me.

Honestly, I am not really a yellow person but I really like the mix of colors in this Liberty print called Claire Aude. I was influenced by another one I saw online and am happy for it because it got me thinking outside the box of my typical color scheme. I think it's precisely the shades of coral and green with the yellow that make it work for me.

I lengthened the hem of this dress by an inch but, now I am thinking about taking it up another inch because I can see how the shorter length works so well with the shift style of this dress.

I love this look and once I make the alterations I think it will get good use. I definitely recommend making your own binding in either the same print (as I did) or in a complimentary print or solid. I know I need to branch out from the Liberty prints but, I do love them so.

This pattern was very straightforward and easy to sew with nice clear instructions. It has bust and back darts and the only part I found fiddly was easing in the sleeves. I didn't have the best luck with that.

I am looking forward to making more in the future which is so important. I like to really consider the pattern I am buying and think about if it will be made more then once over the years and this one definitely wins.

No comments: