Tuesday, May 27, 2014

vogue 8901


I recently made this dress, Vogue 8901, as a trial to see how I liked it and to work out some kinks. It was the 'muslin' or prototype but, if it did come out perfect (which it didn't) I wanted to be able to wear it. The dress pattern is a nice fitted style with a pleated waist, bust and back darts, an elegant neckline and a zipper in the back.

I do like this style but I would not repeat it in a linen and instead opt for a tana lawn or similar. Linen wasn't one of the recommended choices anyway but, I wanted to see how it would behave. There are different choices for where you want the waist to fall and since I happen to be short waisted I went high. Also, there are a lot of pleats which may if not placed in the right spot and evenly on the waist be unflattering. The darts were a little off in the front for me too. When I make this again I now know I want a different fabric, the waist to be longer, slightly smaller pleats, a little reworking of the darts and a little bit more length to the skirt. I think I would go for a shorter zipper that ends at the waist or maybe even a button placket.

No comments: