Friday, April 9, 2010

1940's skirt

This is the first pattern I've knit from my vintage 1940's book by Alice Carroll. The book is called The Complete Guide to Modern Knitting and Crocheting and I first wrote about it here.






I have been wanting to try a skirt for some time now and this one was so sweet. If you haven't knit from vintage patterns before it is a bit different but, not too difficult. I believe there are some online resources if you have difficulty but, I didn't need it with this. I used a sock yarn and followed the directions exactly. Sister's Suit has directions for a coordinating top and there is brother's suit as well. Little knit shorts on a four year old boy would be so retro sweet, no?

I would tell you the yarn I used but I can't remember nor can I find the label but, I'll update here if I do. It worked so well with the pattern and draped nicely.

2 comments:

Amy said...

It is very cute and I love the color!

Liz said...

i was in the middle of commenting here this morning, and well, you know.
I was gonna say the skirt looks so perfectly swingy! I have several vintage knitting books etc etc, but have felt kinda lost when it comes to knitted boy things. and why is it that the goodwill has so many more girl clothes than boys? not fair. For all of the crafty-goodness to be made, I can't help but hope for a girl next.