Wednesday, June 15, 2011

lavender shortbread



Some lavender shortbread was made on Monday. Our lavender is in bloom and I always am so happy to see it come to life as there are so many great ways to use it. This is the first time I baked with it and have been wanting to experiment with herb shortbread for a few years and am happy that I finally did. There are so many interesting herbs to try out with this recipe in the garden. Since you use them dried this is a good project to try out when you have the time since herbs have such a long lifespan in the garden.

I based my recipe on this one but, did not use lemon zest or mint. I did add a splash of homemade lemonade (this is why I had no lemons) and also added a teaspoon of rosewater and a teaspoon of vanilla.

They came out delicious and are even better the day after. The little burst of lavender is really nice and not at all overpowering.

Edit to add: I forgot to tell you that for the last minute I sprinkled on some superfine sugar and that this recipe with the small heart shape yielded about 50 pieces.

4 comments:

Lauren McBride said...

very cool! did you see that i used a recipe i saw on tend?

jenn said...

these look so yummy!

Dacia said...

sounds delicious. can you use any lavender or does it need to be a specific kind? i have two kinds growing in my yard. I've been curious to try it as well.

sew nancy said...

I think you could use any lavender. Ours was planted by previous owners and I think it's English lavender but I'm sure any could work.