Sunday, June 13, 2010

pom pom necklace




I made myself this necklace on Friday night and I thought I'd share a tutorial for how I did it. My inspiration was the beautiful jewelry made by The Vamoose.
It is pretty straightforward. If you have made pom poms and have a little experience with jewelry making you should have no problem

Material List:
Pom Pom Maker- I used a Clover pom pom maker and it has a marking of 45 on it. I measured the circumference of it and it seems to be about a 1 1/2" circle
Muslin or fabric of your choice
Nylon Beading Cord
Clasp
2 Crimp Beads with clamshell
Darning Needle
Jewelry Pliers

I used a medium weight muslin and cut strips that were about 1/2" wide.
You will need at least 2 strips or possibly more. I used 2 on each side of the pom pom maker and one to tie the knot in the middle because my strips were only about 16"
If you had one really long piece you would only need one to wrap and one small one for the tie.

To get started. You take your strips and wrap them around the pom pom maker. The Clover tool has two sides so you do one side, close it and then do the other. Take your last strip and make a knot in the middle. Then cut around all the strips and open it up. Proceed to make two more. Trim around the edges if necessary so the pom pom has a nice shape and fluff it out.

With your darning needle string the bead cord through the eye of the needle and then string your pom poms on.
Tie a knot on each end and clamp it shut with the clamshell side of the crimp beads. Do the same on the other side and attach the crimp beads to your clasp closing the rings.

You will get some loose threads falling out as the edges are frayed. If this does not suit you put some fray check on the ends.

All done.



If you make one, let me know. I would love to see it.
Please do not make to sell.

Enjoy.

No comments: